Rebuilding

It's a long story, but I'm recompiling a lot of material here in a new space.
I've posted older comment threads where they apply. I haven't where it doesn't. So there.

7/26/11

brainwashing

Overheard in a sparring class.

10 year old female white belt: "you're so much better at this than I am!"
10 year old male orange belt: "I'm a MAN. You're a WOMAN. Of COURSE I know how to do this better than you"
Girl: "What?"
Boy: "I know all the right places to hit because I'm a Man."

I interrupt: "Really, Visham? Are you better at this than I am?"
Visham: "Well no. but you're a black belt. I'm only an orange belt"
Me: "Right so...I have lots of experience and I know how to do this well, right?"
Visham: "YES" <-- he was angry!
Me: "So don't you think that as an orange belt you've had a lot more time to get good at this than Chelsey, who's never sparred before?"
Visham: "... yes"
Me: "So maybe it has nothing to do with girl or boy, but is more about experience?"
Visham: "... maybe"

Maybe if I get them when they're young...

buahahah

1 comment:

  1. Changing the world, one prejudice at a time!
    (Who are that kid's parents?? ugh.)
    Good on ya.

    ReplyDelete